But - if you need to learn some grammar and vocabulary, we can either squeeze that in or make it the main goal if that's what you prefer. Also, if you would like to improve reading comprehension skills (ESPECIALLY with poems), look no further.
I employ flexibility in my teaching. I like teaching individuals because one cannot cater two different people with the same approach. The syllabus is as a result always in motion because with time I get to know the student's needs better .
This is an example class outline I have given one of my students - the class outline I design for you may be entirely different:
1. Discussion of assignments (20 minutes) – Short but meaningful assignments will be given to the student before each class period, except for the first. Understanding that the student may have many responsibilities outside of the lesson given here, the student will practice a little bit before each lesson, but since the lessons are intensive, the student will be practising actively. Completing the assignments given is just as important as paying attention in class. Sometimes you may feel bombarded with information, but it is important to go over the material of each class afterwards when you complete the [brief] assignments.
2. Grammar Lesson (20 minutes) – Having viewed the exam papers on the VWO website, the student is expected to possess a comparatively high command of English. Therefore the student may feel, especially during the first several lessons, that the grammar lessons are too advanced. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. You have to keep trying, and I feel that you are ambitious enough to succeed in this endeavour.
3. In-class exercises (15 minutes) – The student will complete grammar exercises pertaining the day’s lesson. Ten minutes will be designated towards silent work, and five minutes will be spent correcting and explaining the exercises.
4. Introduction to poem (5 minutes) – We will work with one poem each week. I have intentionally not decided to work with more than one poem at a time because we will need to learn how to investigate a poem’s depths. It will aid us in order to pursue quality in the analysis rather than getting lost in mere memorisation. Focusing on one poem at a time will make you learn how to read any text. Time will be spent in explaining a literary device.
5. Close-reading of poem (15 minutes) – As opposed to a grammar lesson, where you will be working silently, the close-reading will be a discussion of sorts. The method is different here because there are right and wrong answers relating to English grammar (which I know), but interpretation resists such clear-cut distinctions. I believe this to be the most rewarding segment of the lesson. Employ your knowledge of literary device here.
6. List of new vocabulary words – extracted from poem (10 minutes) – Vocabulary words will be drawn up from the poem. The teacher may decide to also include new vocabulary words, but most of the time there will be enough words to learn in the poem.
7. New assignments and questions (5 minutes) – New assignments will be introduced, and any questions the student may have about the course or the material can be addressed here.
1. Discussion of literary devices (20 minutes) – In this segment of the lesson the different literary devices will be either be introduced or reviewed. It is crucial that we give ample time to studying literary devices because there is a long list of them and it will only benefit the student to learn them all. Of course, mere memorisation is not enough, which anticipates the next segment:
2. Discussion of poem using literary devices (40 minutes) – A significant amount of time will be spent honing the student’s literary analysis skills, of which the knowledge of literary devices is of utmost importance. Time will also be spent discussing the literary period in which the poem is situated. In this segment of the module, we will aim for depth. I have reviewed the materials the student’s headmaster has given her regarding poetic analysis, and much is expected of her. (And much can be done!)
3. Essay-writing (30 minutes) – During this segment of the module we will learn how to write excellent essays! This can take the form of studying the essay’s structure, reviewing sample essays and writing essays together in class, such as composing thesis statements, outlines, or using connectives.
1. Homework help (90 minutes) – The teacher will help the student with homework assignments, not by revealing answers, but by suggesting alternative methods of answering questions. "
PS. If you would like a copy of the full syllabus, you can always request it.
I have graduated cum laude in Literary and Cultural Analysis at the University of Amsterdam, so I know my way around the requirements Dutch institutions have pertaining to English.
I was also a student of Liberal Arts at Columbia University.
In addition to that I have published a work of poetry. Poetry-writing requires advanced knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary, containing within it the circumstantial knowledge of when it is okay to break those rules. I have an eye for detail and with dedicated students, results will show in around two months.
link to my collection:
Besiana is a very energetic person and her way of teaching is truly outstanding due to the way she interprets words. Her way of understanding and explaining a text is very approachable and easy to follow. It makes you feel like she shines a light on literature.
I had some uncertainties with my essays and that's why I contacted her. I mastered essays in 3 months, and also got into a few other subjects, like poetry. Definitely recommend Besiana as she goes the extra mile to make you content!
Before I studied computer engineering in university, I had loads of issues passing my English classes. I studied hard for every other subject, but English I couldn't get around on. Besiana is very flexible, knowledgeable, patient and trusts you. Her teaching and attitude got me far during my first year when my entire study was in English.
Engels in de buurt? Hier een selectie van leraren die je kunt bekijken. Superprof kan je ook helpen bij het vinden van lessen in Spreekvaardigheid - Engels. Leren is geen probleem meer, Schrijfvaardigheid - Engels toegankelijk voor iedereen! Lessen volgen in Leesvaardigheid - Engels is nog nooit zo makkelijk geweest: je kunt je kennis eindeloos ontwikkelen!
|Bij de leraar thuis||Bij jou thuis||Online (via webcam)|
|1 uur||Niet beschikbaar||Niet beschikbaar||16€|
|10 uur||Niet beschikbaar||Niet beschikbaar||160€|